Saturday, September 18, 2010

Josh Grimmer: State of the Union for September 18, 2010

Another week is over, and not a moment too soon. Did we all have fun discussing perfection? I certainly did. I feel like I should write these things every week, but they always feel like fireside chats. “Hello, friends. I love you all so dearly, you know that, right?” Ick. Ugh. Blah. Anyhow.

This week saw more posts than any other week in the history (THREE WEEKS) of Writing, Writer, Writest. We're getting art and poetry and holy crow, all kinds of stuff. This is really exciting, you guys. Do any of you talented folks do music-type stuff? I know you do. Don't bullshit me. Maybe you make some other kind of art. You paint, you take photos, whatever. This blog may be about writing, but that doesn't mean it's for essays only. I mean, we got POEMS and shit. Take some photos. Write about them. If they fit the theme – and they're good – they'll get posted here.

The most important thing is that you guys get as much out of this project as you can. I'm glad I started this thing – mostly because I feel like I wouldn't be talented enough to make the cut if I weren't the kingmaker. Frank Zappa always said that if he auditioned for his own band, he would never have made it in. He couldn't change chords without looking for the frets, he couldn't sing and play guitar at the same time.

Anyhow, this week's theme is summer vacation. Summer jobs? Summer love? Summer school? Summer squash? (500) Days of Summer? Boy I hope not. That movie is infuriatingly, wretchedly, gratingly awful. Just a fact.

Summer vacation starts tomorrow. What comes after summer vacation? Well, back to school, naturally. If you're going to write an essay about the back to school experience, you should. You should totally do that, and totally email it to the Writing, Writer, Writest editing team by Friday, September 24.

If you want to get a real jump on everyone else – and frankly, why wouldn't you? - you can go ahead and start thinking about the theme after that. Power struggles. Two people vie for supremacy. Maybe an internal thing? Two outside forces fighting over you? An unruly or ugly dog that you simply cannot figure out. Some kind of power struggle. Those essays are due on Friday, October 1.

Finally, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions or whatever on how they'd spruce up this dump, let me know. I might even do it. Any graphic designer types out there who'd want to make logos or themes or whatever the fuck you'd call it? Maybe you want this place to be less... orangey. Whatever. Suggest things to me. And be sure to become a fan on Facebook and add us on Twitter. Sheesh. Self-promotion is the lowest form of discourse.

Love always,

Josh Grimmer, Editor-in-Chief.

No comments:

Post a Comment