Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Debra Crosslin - Cruising

A Christmas Eve Party

A few years ago, we were inadvertently invited to a Christmas Eve party. The home was worth over a milliion dollars. This is what I've heard ahead of time.

The house was not a home. I am not person of envy, but this house smelled of riches. On the tour, I politely said, "beautiful," "lovely," "wow, that's expensive," etc.

The wine was flowing. Fantastic vintages! One could not help but taste it.

It was a small gethering of ten to twelve guests.

After drinking some wine, dinner was served. Wine with the dinner, of course.

I was seated next to the youngest son of the family. He was 29. Previously, I had been told of Scott's drug addiction. Nevertheless, I liked his intellect and converstional tone.

As we talked, somone asked Scott, "What are you doing with your life?" Scott smiled and replied, "Cruising." His answer stuck me as funny and I laughed uncontrollably.

Looking around the dinner table, I noticed everyone's faces were appalled. No one was laughing. Not one person thought this reply was amusing.

Scott talked with me the rest of the night. We broke into the wine cellar and he asked me to cover the security camera. With me as the look-out, he proceeded to take a few hundreds of dollars of fine wine. Quickly, we went into the kitchen and he poured more wine for everyone. One could not help but taste it.

Laughing, he took me to see the unbelievable rooms in the house. Every room had a television, phone with intricate details and antiques. Even the bathrooms.

Eventually, we had to leave and I hugged and kissed Scott on the cheek. We said our good-byes and thank-yous to our host as we left.

Scott lives with his grandmother. His ability to cruise through life is funny and very sad at the same time. He does not have to work because he receives money, clothes, food, transportation without a job.

I am not being critical of the continuous access to wealth. Many wealthy children are generous hard workers. Many unwealthy children are drug addicts.

Money may be a necessity, but may not be a gift. Love is the only important gift you shall ever receive. For those with ears to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment